A space adventure for classic shmups lovers
Meropticon has declared war on the Omios star. Take the control of your ship and fly as part of the space fleet in a campaing to liberate planets, destroy enemy bases and discover the mysterious force behind the invasion. Biomechanical creatures, exotic planets, climatic threats and black magic are waiting for you!
Hydorah is a horizontal shmup with a non linear campaign structure.
Face a large varierty of enemies, dangers and unique situations. Unlock new weapons as you progress, equip them before each mission and increase their power during the action. Learning enemy patterns and the right equipment for each section is the key to win. Keep your eyes open, because the true victory requires more than just shooting.
- Look and feel of a 2D game from the 32-bit era
- Non-linear structure with route selection
- 16 levels, 30 bosses and 70 unique enemies
- Powerful action-integrated soundtrack
- In-game secrets and different endings
- Around 50 minutes long (once mastered)
- Making this game was my childhood dream. It almost took my sanity, but I did it!
- Hydorah is the bastard son of hundreds of shmups. It has genes from popular sagas like Gradius, R-Type, Darius or Turrican and less widely known titles like Enforcer, Space Manbow, Hellfire, X-Multiply, Guardian, Hydefos, Armalyte and more than 100 games from different systems. However, it has its own unique personality.
- It was featured as one of the best freeware games of 2010 by Gamasutra.
- Musicians from all over the world joined in an initiative to produce an album with arranged tracks.
- An extended an enhanced version called Super Hydorah was commercially released in 2017.