Maldita Castilla EX
An arcade adventure of chivalry and horror
A young witch was crying for her fallen love when an ancient demon heard her sorrow. Seduced by the promises of the beast, she turned her tears into a magic key. And so, with that key, demons were released all over the kingdom of Castilla. Concerned about the situation, the King Alfonso VI of León has gathered his most loyal knights. Play as the valiant Don Ramiro in his quest through the cursed lands of Tolomera and put an end to the nightmare, for God and Castilla!
Maldita Castilla EX is the definitive version of Maldita Castilla, an action platformer with a compendium of myths from medieval Spain and the spirit of a mid-to-late '80s arcade game. This version includes new chapters, weapons, features and arrangements that make it a much better game.
Run, jump and throw your weapons as you move through decadent medieval landscapes full of dangers and monsters. Learn about each situation and enemy pattern in order to progress. Open chests and hit hidden spots for bonuses, weapons and equippable objects. Find the five Moura's tears to unlock the true final chapter and discover a bunch of secrets to reach different endings.
- Look and feel of an arcade game from 1986-1988
- Places and creatures based on actual myths from Spain
- 8 levels, 19 bosses and 48 unique enemies
- In-game secrets and multiple endings
- Around 70 minutes long (once mastered)
- The game idea was born during a weekend trip to Segovia.
- It was inspired by paintings, codex and places from medieval Spain, by the book The Amadis of Gaul and by arcade games like Ghost 'n Goblins, Black Tiger, Tiger Road, Shinobi, Rygar, Karnov, Rastan, Trojan, Legend of Hero Tonma…
- It features the genuine sound of the YM2203 FM chip.
- Fans of the game asked for a release on consoles since the release of the original game in 2012. It was finally possible thanks to the collaboration with Abyligh Studios and the help of the Game Maker team.
- Play-Asia produced a limited edition for PS4 and PS Vita. Abyligh Studios produced a collector edition for Nintendo Switch. GAME Spain sold a retail version for PS4 in their stores.
- It had a warm welcome in the retro and arcade communities. Several dedicated cabinets were built for display in associations like RetroMadrid, Arcade Planet and Arcade Vintage Museum.
- It received the HóPlay Award for Best Sound in 2013 and the DeVuego Award for Best Physical Edition in 2021.
- Its main suite was performed by the Málaga Philharmonic Orchestra (PlayFest, 2014) and the Games&Symphonies orchestra (Valencia, 2016).