A space opera for lovers of classic shmups
Meropticon has declared war on the Omios star. Take the control of your ship and fly as part of the space fleet in a campaing to liberate planets, destroy enemy bases and discover the mysterious force behind the invasion. Biomechanical creatures, exotic planets, climatic threats and black magic are waiting for you.
Super Hydorah is the definitive, extended and enhanced version of Hydorah, a horizontal shmup with a non linear campaign structure.
Face a large varierty of planets, enemies and unique situations. Weapons are unlocked as you progress, equipped before each mission and powered during the action. Learning enemy patterns and the right equipment for each section is the key to win. Stay alert, because the true victory requires more than meets the eye.
- Look and feel of a 2D game from the 32-bit era
- Non-linear structure with route selection
- 21 levels, 35 bosses and 100 unique enemies
- For 1 or 2 players, with a bonus minigame
- Powerful action-integrated soundtrack
- In-game secrets and different endings
- Around 80 minutes of game length (once mastered)
- If releasing Hydorah in 2010 was fulfilling a childhood dream, turning it into Super Hydorah and publishing it on the big platforms was beyond my imagination. It was possible thanks to the collaboration with Abyligh Studios.
- Super Hydorah is the bastard son of a hundred classics. It has genes from popular sagas like Gradius, R-Type, Darius or Turrican but also from less widely known titles like Enforcer, Space Manbow, Hellfire, X-Multiply, Guardian, Hydefos, Armalyte and more than 100 games from different systems. However, it has its own personality.
- The project required an unhealthy amount of time and energy
- It received the Hobby Industria Award for Best Spanish Game in 2018 and the DeVuego Award for Best Spanish Mobile Game also in 2018.
- Limited Run Games produced collector editions for PS4, PSVita and Nintendo Switch. Abyligh Studios produced collector and standard editions for Nintendo Switch.