They came from Verminest
Vintage sci-fi and classic gameplay now together in 3D!
A ferocious insect army has emerged from the planet Verminest and is spreading throughout the galaxy. Defend five worlds and fight the plague until you reach the very nest of Queen Verminia.
They came from Verminest is a single-screen shmup with the spirit of a sci-fi movie from the 50's.
Fight giant insect formations in outer space and over the surface of various exotic planets. Defeat enemies on a close range and destroy squadron leaders strategically to get extra bonuses. Unlock up to 4 ship upgrades to make things easier. It feature video modes for vintage film grain and anaglyphic 3D glasses.
- Look and feel of a mid 80's game with a 50's movie flavour
- Special video mode for anaglyphic 3D glasses
- 5 planets with their particular rules
- Around 30 minutes long (once mastered)
- I always wanted to make a single-screen shmup, but I finally did it after playing Galaga on its original arcade cabinet, for the first time, in October 2011.
- It was inspired by vintage Sci-Fi movies like Them!, The Deadly Mantis, Black Scorpion, Tarantula, Mothra… and by early arcade games like Phoenix, Galaxian, Galaga, Centipede, Moon Cresta…
- We filmed the trailer at home with a handcrafted miniature set. It was so fun that we did a making of document.
- In 2016 I reimagined the project to create Death Came from Verminest, a score-oriented game for arcade associations.